Weapons, Robotics, and Control Engineering
Prof. Jenelle A. Piepmeier
Education & Training
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1999
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1995
- B.S. in Engineering, LeTourneau University, 1993
- Department of Weapons, Robotics, & Control Engineering, United States Naval Academy
- Chair, 2020 - present
- Professor, 2015 - present
- Associate Professor, 2004-2015
- Assistant Professor, 1999-2004
Honors and Awards
- Pine Tree High School Distinguished Alumna, 2020
- Member, Academy of Engineering & Engineering Technology, LeTourneau University, 2018
- 1st Place Semantic Robot Vision Challenge: Robot League, Team Advisor with LT J. Searock, December 2009
- Invited Speaker at the Connecticut Microelectronics and Optoelectronics Symposium Program 2009
- Raouf Ali Raouf Award for excellence in teaching engineering, 2009
Professional and Community Service
- Faculty Senate Vice President AY2020
- Promotion & Tenure Committee Co-Chair AY2018-AY2019
- J.A. Piepmeier, H. Lipkin, G.V. McMurray, “Uncalibrated dynamic mechanical system controller,” U.S. Patent 6278906, Aug. 21, 2002.
- M. Feemster, J.A. Piepmeier, H. BIggs, S. Yee, H. ElBidweihy, S.L. Firebaugh “Autonomous Microrobotic Manipulation Using Visual Servo Control,” Micromachines, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 132-145, Jan. 2020,
- J.A. Piepmeier, S. Firebaugh, C.S. Olsen, “Uncalibrated Visual Servo Control of Magnetically Actuated Microrobots in a Fluid Environment,” Micromachines, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 797-813, Sep. 2014.
- C.D. McGray, S.M. Stavis, J. Giltinan, E. Eastman, S. Firebaugh, J.A. Piepmeier, J. Geist, M. Gaitan, “MEMS Kinematics by Super-Resolution Fluorescence Microscopy,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 115 – 123, Feb. 2013.
- S. Firebaugh S., J. Piepmeier, E. Leckie, J. Burkhardt, “Jitterbot: A Mobile Millirobot Using Vibration Actuation,” Micromachines, vol. 2, no. 2. p. 295-305. 2011
- B. Bishop, J. Esposito, and J. Piepmeier, “Moving Without Wheels: Educational Experiments in Robot Design and Locomotion,” Computers in Education Journal, vol.1 no.3, p. 41-49, Jul.-Sep. 2010.
- S.L. Firebaugh and J.A. Piepmeier, "The RoboCup Nanogram League: An Opportunity for Project-Based Undergraduate Education in Microsystems," IEEE Transactions on Education. vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 394-399, Aug. 2009.
- B.E. Bishop, J.A. Piepmeier, G. Piper, and K.A. Knowles, “Low-cost Robotic Exercises and Projects,” International Journal of Engineering Education, vol. 22, vo. 4. 2006
- J.A. Piepmeier, G.V. McMurray, and H. Lipkin. “Uncalibrated Dynamic Visual Servoing,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 20, no.1, pp. 143-148, Feb. 2004.
- J.A. Piepmeier and H. Lipkin. “Uncalibrated Eye-in-hand Visual Servoing,” International Journal of Robotics Research. Special Issue on Visual Servoing, Vol. 22, No. 10/11, pp. 805-820, Oct. 2003
- J.A. Piepmeier, B.E. Bishop, and K.A. Knowles, “Modern Robotics Engineering Education,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Special Issue on Robotics Education, vol. 10, no. 2, pp.33-37, Jun. 2003.