Form Design Standards
All USNA forms will conform to the following design standards with the exception of completely web based forms, forms built into the USNA AEEE network that are completely filled out and submitted electronically, forms that only require a signature and date such as a waiver and office forms. The USNA Forms Manager will approve all exceptions to the design standards. All USNA Forms regardless of format shall adhere to all other provisions of USNAINST 5213.2G .
The following design standards will be followed in the preparation of Naval Academy forms using the design software promulgated by the Navy Forms Manager, except when precluded by special requirements or the functional use of the form as mentioned above.
- Size: 8-1/2" x 11".
- Typography: Text fonts are Arial 8 point (pt.) and all fill fonts are 10 pt.
- Ink: Black.
- Margins: 1/2" page margins.
- Image size: 7-15/16" x 10-1/4".
- Format/Style: 1.5 pt. or 1/48" solid border on all sides.
Location of format elements and reproduction size of type:
- Form title: Top left, bold capitals (caps), inside the border.
- Supporting directive: Top right, all caps, outside the border.
- OMB Control Number (when required): Top right corner immediately below the supporting directive, all caps outside the border. This number, assigned by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is assigned after posting in the Federal Register, when requesting personal private information (PPI) on an individual.
- Form prefix, number and date: Bottom left, all caps, outside the border.
Office forms should conform to the design standards above when using forms issued in PDF form. Electronic forms built into the AEEE network are authorized for collecting PII as long as they have been approved by the USNA Privacy Office. Google Forms can be used for office forms if they don't collect PII or they only collect PII authorized to be on the USNA Google domain as authorized by the USNA CIO and have been reviewed by the USNA Privacy Office (see attached flowchart for the authorized use of Google Forms).