Requesting a Record under the Privacy Act
Minimum Requirements of a PA Request:
- Your Request must be prepared in writing.
- Label your Request "Privacy Act Request" on the request, as well as the envelope.
- Individuals seeking access to records about themselves that are maintained in a PA system of records must sign their request and provide specific identifying data to enable a search for the requested record. Either have a notarized signature or submit an unsworn declaration that states:
If executed without the United States:
“I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on (date). (Signature)”.
If executed within the United States, its territories, possessions, or commonwealths:
“I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on (date). (Signature)”.
- Identify the specific PA system of records notice for which you seek this information (DON (USN and USMC) SORNS).
- Individuals may authorize the release of all or part of their records to anyone they choose provided they submit a signed authorization to the USNA. Such authorization must specifically state the records to which the individual may have access.
- Individuals may be accompanied by anyone they choose when seeking to review their records. In such instance, the USNA requires the individual to provide a written authorization to allow the record to be discussed in front of the other person.
- Include requester's full name, complete U.S. postal service mailing address, phone number, and email (if you wish electronic responsive documentation).
First Party Requesters will be Granted Access to their Records Under the Provisions of the PA, Unless:
- They did not properly identify the records being sought; did not sign their request; and/or failed to provide sufficient identifying data to locate the requested record(s);
- They are seeking access to information in a system of records that is exempt from disclosure in whole or in part under the provisions of the PA;
- They are seeking access to information that was compiled in anticipation of a civil action or proceeding [i.e.,(d)(5) applies.] The term “civil action or proceeding” includes quasi-judicial and pre–trial judicial proceedings, as well as formal litigation. However, this does not prohibit access to records compiled or used for purposes other than litigation or to records frequently subject to litigation. The information must have been compiled for the primary purpose of litigation to be withheld under 5 U.S.C. §552a (d)(5); or
- They are seeking access to information contained in the system that is currently and properly classified [see 5 U.S.C. §552a (k)(1)].
Submit Your Request
You may submit your request by one of the following methods:
- Online: FOIAonline
- Official Transcript Only:
Official Transcripts must be obtained directly through the Registrar's Office.
- U.S. Mail:
Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy
Attention: Privacy Act Coordinator
121 Blake Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-1300