CAPT(sel) Leonard J. Hamilton, PhD, P.E.
Associate Professor, Permanent Military Professor
Mechanical Engineering Department
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
Fax (410) 293-3041
Naval Postgraduate School, (Sep 2000 - June 2003)
Department of Naval and Mechanical Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
Dissertation "Numerical and Experimental Analysis of the Performance of Staggered Short
Pin-Fin Heat Exchangers"
University of Maryland, (Jan 1984 - Dec 1984)
Masters of Science, Mechanical Engineering
U.S. Naval Academy, (Jul 1980 - May 1984)
Bachelors of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Internal Combustion Engines
Assistant Professor, U.S. Naval Academy (Jul 2003 - Present)
Aeronautical Engineering Duty Officer, U.S. Navy, (Jun. 1995 - Jun 2003)
F-14 Pilot, Test Pilot , (Jan 1989 - Jun 1995)
Society of Automotive Engineers Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, April 2007
William P. Clements teaching excellence award, May 2006
Class of 1951 Prize for excellence in education, May 2006
Officer Representative, Triathlon Club: 2004 - present
Officer Representative, Society of Automotive Engineers: 2005 - present
Officer Representative, Team Philo: 2006 - present
- L.J. Hamilton, M.A. Kiedzerski and M.P. Kaul, Horizontal Convective Boiling of Refrigerants and Refrigerant Mixtures within a Micro-Fin Tube, Journal of Enhanced Heat Transfer, submitted Sep 2007.
- L. J. Hamilton and J.S. Cowart, The First Wide Open Throttle Engine Cycle: Transition into Knock Experiments with Fast In-Cylinder Sampling, International Journal of Engine Research, submitted July 2007.
- J.S. Cowart and L.J. Hamilton, Simultaneous In-Cylinder and Exhaust Cycle Resolved NDIR and FID Experimental Sampling Results during Cranking and Startup in a PFI CFR Engine, International Journal of Engine Research, submitted May 2007.
- P.A. Caton, L.J. Hamilton and J.S. Cowart, An Experimental and Modeling Investigation into the Comparative Knock and Performance Characteristics of E85, Gasohol and Regular Gasoline, SAE Transactions, April 2007.
- P.A. Caton, L.J. Hamilton and J.S. Cowart, An Experimental and Modeling Investigation into the Comparative Knock and Performance Characteristics of E85, Gasohol and Regular Gasoline, SI Combustion, SAE Publication, ISBN 978-0-7680-1917-9, April 2007.
- L.J. Hamilton, Gas Turbine, Marine Propulsion Engineering, Unit 5, USNA online textbook, July 2006.
- J.S. Cowart and L.J. Hamilton, An Experimental and Modeling based Investigation into Post Fuel Injection Vapor Generation, SI Combustion and Direct Injection SI Engine Technology, SAE Publication, ISBN 978-0-7680-1751-9, April 2006.